Well folks, we made it. Another year is here. It is amazing the power a new year can bring. So many possibilities for us all.
Speaking of possibilities, we have a big project in the making and need your help.
After our first fundraising effort, we now have the funds to create a full-color Pregnancy and Infant Loss brochure that will highlight our Online Pen-Pal Program (along with other babyloss resources).
The ideas are falling right into place. All the copy is set, the next step is visuals. That is when it dawned on us, why not reach out to you for some visual inspiration? Perhaps we can help each other?
We would like to extend an invitation to submit your own photographs to be used in our brochure. Here’s what we are looking for:
– Royalty free (donated) photos owned by the submitter and free of copyrights.
– Photos that portray themes and feelings such as community, strength, peace, acceptance, pregnancy or grief.
– High, high, high resolution (really, the higher the better!)
– Submit all photos or portfolios, including your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
** Please, no submissions of baby pictures. That is for another project. **
We will be accepting submissions until the end of January. If your photo(s) are accepted, we will be in contact letting you know exactly how your work will be used and cited. We will also send you hard copies of the finished pieces for your portfolio.
Every year I tell myself to write some kind of “Surviving the Holidays” checklist for you, but truth is, after four years I am still trying to avoid the heartache just like you.
We just want to wish you all peace.
Peace and acceptance of the year and everything it brought you — good and bad.
Peace and hope of what the New Year might bring.
Peace that you find ways to include your baby into your holidays without it being too painful.
Peace that your family will remember along with you and say their names for you to hear.
We look forward to spending another year with you and your family as you navigate this new way of life. Thank you for all the support we received this year. It is good to know we are helping families connect, remember and spread awareness of pregnancy and infant loss.
Here’s to 2014!
On September 18th, 2009 our first child was stillborn at 37 weeks. Looking back, the first few weeks after his birth I was numb. Never knew what day it was. They all felt the same. Sad, depressing and very dark. It seemed like there was nothing to live for. It didn’t matter what day it was.
…that is, until October 15th.
I will never forget how mind blowing it was. I was still very much numbed by my son’s death, but to see all these families and groups bond together on this special Pregnancy and Infant Loss Day — it really picked me up. Then at 7 p.m. all the candles were lit and pictures were being shared from one end of the world to the other. I knew one day I wanted to do something great in honor of my son, and perhaps started a new tradition today.
Would like to share the handwritten alphabet letters I have created in honor of October 15th and of our babies gone too soon. We are having a silent auction for each original print. If you win, your baby’s name will be highlighted and the entire letter will be color washed either blue, pink, or yellow.
After all the auction winners are announced, we will be taking donations for prints of each letter. Please keep an eye here and on our Private Facebook Page for ordering information.
Would like to thank everyone who shared a little piece of their heart with us. I truly enjoyed making these letters and look forward to creating them each and every year. (Special thanks to Tiffany for sorting through all 600+ names too!) Please enjoy the letters and feel free to use them on your blog/facebook/website.
Don’t forget to put in your bid for today!
(If you are interested in making a donation to Grieve Out Loud in honor of Pregnancy and Infant Loss please click here)
Here is an example of the alphabet project we are working on for October 15th. Each letter is created out of our babies’ names (names were compiled in the previous weeks from our Facebook Page), all handwritten. We were hoping to have a silent auction for each original letter. The winner will have his/her baby’s name highlighted (in the example, Alvin) and the letter will be water colored either blue, pink or yellow. (Please note, final piece will NOT come in a frame).
We are accepting donations via PayPal in honor of all the babies featured in these letters. All donations will go right back into GOL for families affected by Pregnancy and Infant Loss.
For more information contact us at email@example.com.
If there is one thing for certain, there are millions upon millions of questions that emerge in our lives after pregnancy and infant loss. While some questions will unfortunately never be answered, we would like to offer some comfort in real life answers to some of your other questions.
With over 2,500 real life pregnancy loss families, our private facebook page has truly become another resource in and of itself. We invite you to join our growing group and submit your questions to us. Here is an example of a recent story that came in with an overwhelming amount of comments.
“It’s been five months since we lost our daughter. Some days are worst than others, but I feel like no one understands at all. Nothing has been the same. People that say they “will be there” aren’t. There is absolutely NO ONE to talk to, or anyone that can relate. I just feel alone. Yes, I have my husband but he doesn’t like to show his emotions often. Does anyone else feel this way?!”
As always, we just want you to know you are not alone — and all the feelings and emotions you are going through are real. We look forward to you joining our group and sharing your questions with us. Thank you for your ongoing support.
Find us on Facebook: GOLORG
Grieve Out Loud works quietly behind the scenes helping families find their way back to life after loss. We answer every single Pen-Pal Request that comes our way.
To be matched with another bereaved mom, dad, grandma, grandpa or friend please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, e-mail, and a brief description of our loss.
Thank you for taking the time to check us out. We know the pain in your heart very well and are here to help you remember.
A friend posted this quote the other day and it really made me think. Grief IS so heavy and hard to carry around. Of course we will never “let go” of our baby’s, but we can let go of some of the guilt, pain and loneliness. Never forget we are in this together. We can learn to let go together.
Full quote: “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” by C. Joybell C.
What do you have in store for us?
For all of us?
Every year we talk about the natural evolution of Grieve Out Loud, and of our grief.
Welcomed or not, time distances us from our grief, but never from our hearts.
My grief is not as sharp.
It does not force itself up through my fingertips like it once did.
But I know yours does.
That said, GOL is working to publish the new voices of loss.
We want you to know we are not going anywhere.
In our silence, we are working on a better tomorrow for the folks who find us.
If you are interested in pitching new ideas for GOL please contact Julie.
Make sure to friend us on Facebook. Our private group has over 2500 members who discuss many topics facing the babyloss community.
Don’t forget about our Pen-Pal Program.
Last year we helped so many families find their way back to life after loss and want to continue with you.
Our extensive volunteer team covers an incredibly vast range of losses. Talk to someone who has walked a mile in your exact shoes. We are here to listen and offer any help we can.
As always, if you need anything, just contact us.
Happy New Year’s to you all. Thank you for supporting Grieve Out Loud!
Julie – GOL Founder
As 2013 quickly approached we want to pass a few changes onto you our viewers.
- As a team, we have decided not to renew the milestone exchange into the new year. We apologize for those who have been waiting. We highly encourage you to come together as a community and host your own milestone exchanges. For the exchanges that went smoothly, we heard nothing but good things. Unfortunately every month we experienced hiccups and it was never our intention for families not to receive gifts. Therefore, we will no longer be hosting exchanges. Thanks to all who participated in the past.
- We plan to put all our focus into our Pen-Pal Program. We will be working to spread the word of its existence to help reach families who are suffering in silence. We will be accepting new volunteers twice a year, so look for our first open call of 2013.
- More interaction and writing challenges on our Facebook Group.
As always, we are open to your suggestions. If there is something you would like to see new and improved please contact us at email@example.com
If you have a milestone (birthday, due date, miscarriage, etc) that falls inside the month of December, you should consider signing up! Here is how the Monthly Milestone Exchange works:
– If you are interested in participating you must fill out this form. PLEASE only sign up if your milestone falls inside the month of DECEMBER (we will be posting new forms for each month). Please utilize the “Special Instructions/Free Space” area for information regarding your specific milestone.
– Serious participants only! This is a get a gift, give a gift exchange.
– Cut off date for this exchange: November 25th.
– You will be randomly partnered and contacted by the e-mail address you supply. You have 72 hours to reply to our e-mail. If we don’t hear from you, you will automatically be removed from the exchange.
– You are responsible for getting in touch with your partner and mailing their gift. Please contact your partner if there will be a delay in shipping. It is better to say something, then nothing at all. Have your package postmarked 5-7 days BEFORE the milestone.
– We highly encourage this to be a handmade card/gift exchange. The more personalized the gift, the better. Create a keepsake for life. Please keep gifts/supplies between $10-20.
– Have fun and be creative! This shouldn’t be a stressful project. If the thought of creating something is stressful please don’t sign up.
Any questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org